Fissure is a longitudinal tear in the anal verge associated with severe pain and streaks of blood. When the skin breaks, it can cause pain and extreme discomfort. Some amount of bleeding during defecation may also be experienced. When the anal aperture is over-strained, it results in a crack leading to a fissure. Recurrent anal fissure which has not been treated properly give rise to an extra skin growth known as sentinel tag.
1. Strain during childbirth/bowel movements
2. Overly tight or spastic anal sphincter muscles
Also due to less common causes such as:
3. STD, Anal Intercourse
4. Anal Cancer
5. Crohn’s disease
1. Pain, sometimes severe, during bowel movements
2. Pain after bowel movements that can last up to several hours
3. Bright red blood on the stool or toilet paper after a bowel movement
4. A visible tear in the skin around the anus
5. A small lump or skin tag on the skin near the anal fissure
6. Burning or Itching in the Anal area
The pain in the fissure in Ano arises as a result of the severe Sphincter muscles spasm around the anal canal. If the condition’s chronicity exceeds 6 weeks, it is called Chronic Fissure in Ano and Surgery is the choice of treatment. Here Kshara Karma is carried out at the Fissure bed, and Partial Posterior sphincterotomy is done to relieve the spasm. The appointments for Ksharasutra are repeated after weekly intervals and fissure heals in continuous visits. This is a very effective and convenient method of treating anal fissure.
Medicines are prescribed by the doctor after a thorough examination of the patient. Treatments must be done under the supervision or advice of a certified Ayurvedic Doctor and not based on self-judgment.